Begun in 2004 as a student thesis project at Brown University, Farm Fresh has grown briskly to capture the public interest in locally grown food and translate it into sales for RI farmers and producers. Strongly mission-driven, Farm Fresh achieved 501c3 status in 2007, and has since implemented a variety of programs to enhance the local food system of the Rhode Island region, with particular attention to farm viability and low-income access to fresh food. Farm Fresh operates a wide range of marketplace programs (retail, wholesale, processing) that engage and connect tens of thousands of RI, MA and CT eaters with thousands of RI, MA and CT farmers.
Mission: Farm Fresh Rhode Island is growing a local food system that values the environment, health and quality of life of RI farmers and eaters.
Vision: A New England abundant with diverse family farms and fertile soils, with locally and honestly produced foods and flavors at the heart of every dinner table.
Healthy Foods, Healthy Families (HFHF) is a Nutrition Education program that takes place weekly at six Rhode Island summertime farmers markets for low-income families in July and August. The educational sessions are experiential and non-traditional, focused on practical knowledge about local fruits and vegetables, and getting families excited about experimenting with new, healthy foods.
The Healthy Foods, Healthy Families intern will assist the program in two different capacities:
-At markets: Intern will work alongside Healthy Foods, Healthy Families staff as a food and nutrition educator and healthy food ambassador at weekly farmers markets.
-In the office: Intern will assist with outreach and recruitment efforts, data entry, curriculum development, as well as program back-end operations and preparations.
· Support nutrition education programs – onsite at markets and in the office with administrative preparations
· Assist with program outreach
· Assist with data entry and tracking
· Contribute to social media and communications
- Good customer service skills and willing to engage with adults and children
- Self-starter with an outgoing personality
- Interest in food access and community health
- Problem-solver and innovative thinker
- Flexible and able to adapt to changes
- Willingness to work hands-on in various environments (outdoors at markets, inside at office)
- Able to work both independently and as part of a team
- Conversational Spanish skills or other language skills
- Experience working with diverse populations
- Access to a car
- Able to prepare basic recipes for simple tastings
Availability and Hours
· 20 – 30 hours/week
· Flexible start and end dates
· Shifts available 7 days a week
To apply, or with any questions, please contact email@example.com. Please write “Healthy Foods, Healthy Families Internship” in the subject line and attach a resume and a letter of interest.
Applicants will be considered on a rolling basis with preference given to candidates who apply by May 10, 2019.
Not Paid, Not for Credit.